Déjà vu

Sunday, March 12, 2006

WINGS...

November 24, 2005
It was the day when I had to take the first Flight of my life. I had booked the tickets way in advance. After a regular day at work, I came back Home. My flight was for around 11 at night.

After haggling with the autowallah at the airport, i finally entered the gates to the skies. With a bag in one hand and a packet in the other, I had trouble holding my tickets. I saw the ticket and baggage checking counter of Spicejet. I advanced towards the counter, and after an endless weight, was greeted by the guy behind the counter. After the regular formalities, I entered the waiting lounge. Gosh, My first flight. I had butterflies in my stomach, just thinking about it. I was bound for Ahmedabad. I was nervous, damn excited, and very jittery. I could not find a place to sit, so i just stood there near the departure door, waiting. We were supposed to be taken to the plane in the airport bus. It seemed like an eternity to wait there, more so because I could not wait to meet the person waiting at the oter end.

After a long time, the bus arrived at the gate and we were allowed to board. I took the center seat in the middle of the bus. From here i could see the entire runway. As our bus started moving, big huge aircrafts, in the repair sheds appeared. Boy it seemed like huge massess of steel looming out of those sheds. Just looking at them was awe inspiring. I could see the planes of various airlines parked and ready for take off.

We reached the spicejet flight. I still remember getting down in that cold night, climbing the stairs. There was a guy at the top to check our tickets. I entered and was greeted by the air hostess. Since I had pre booked my seat, it was the one right next to the window. I found my seat and immediately realized that the seats were very crampy. From this moment on, all i did was look out of the window. After some time, and a slight delay in take off, we rose. My heart beat harder with the increasing speed of the plane. I could not clearly make out when the plane took off. All of a sudden, i saw the entire front part of my flight rise vertically. The drones of the engine made it hard to hear anything else. I looked out, and saw that we were air bound. Lights were flashing on the outside of the plane, as if just for me, to highlight the height at which we were.

The lovely ladies (air hostessess) were jabbering something about seat belts and oxygen maskes. It was easy to figure out their plastic smiles, and over done make up. Boy, I hate that. I kept looking out, and subconsciously slipped on my seat belt. The world below appeared so tiny, as if I was Gulliver. The lighted Delhi roads, and the traffic looked like a small toy city to me. The one thing that was persistent throughout the journey was the low hum of the engines, since I was so close to it.

After a while, I got chatty with a co passenger sitting right beside me. He was also a person from AMDAVAD and told me lot about it. It's people, the city, places to visit, and also the distance from the airport to the IIM campus.

The duration of the flight was 2.10 hours. Somewhere along the way, a voice came on. It was the pilot addressing the passengers. His English was more HINGLISH and very broken. He announced in his robotic manner that we were at 45,000 feet above main sea level and that the outside temperature was -37c, and the ground spped being 750 km/hr, WOW, now that was one hell of an experience, just heraing it. However, for the comfort of the passengers, the in flight temp. was maintained at 25c. Well, now that was consoling. The very thought of the outside temp. gave me the shivers.

Somewhere after 2 hours of flying, and getting majorly restless, I asked my new friend where we were. He said we were over Ahmedabad. I looked down and saw the city, sleeping, road lights glowing in the distance and a few cars still going about.

As the plane descended, I could feel a growing pain in my ears. I dunno how it all began so suddenly, but it was bad. I tried not to twitch my eyebrows or do or act something stupid. I looked out and saw the plane descending. I could now see the Ahmedabad runway. We touched down with a slight sputter and shake. That definitely sent yells out of many. We had safely landed. Man, I was at the top of the world, travelling on my own, at my own expense, all alone. The high that I got was unmatched. I felt good having done and managed everything on my own. I was just a few minutes away from someone now. I can still feel that thrill at the pit of my stomach.

Wow, that was one helluva flight, won't ever forget it for my life.

2 Comments:

At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi buddy!
u have matured a lot i must say. anyways who is this college frnd?????????????

 
At 4:28 AM, Anonymous Gaurav Jha said...

Hey there mr. ms anonymous..which college friend u talking about??

It would be nice to know who this is..hope you can disclose ur name?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home